Sunday, July 12, 2009

Guylian Cafe - The Rocks, Sydney



Hello, world!

After a gazillion months living in seclusion (no, not in a deserted yet uber-luxurious resort 300 miles north of Bora Bora), I'm making a soft comeback! Anyway, it's partially because I hate seeing Cla so lonely being the only contributing contributor at eatlikeacow and I realize it's time I start bringing cameras back to restaurants and snap some pics for you nice people to ooh and ahh and look at (hopefully).

...just FYI, taking a break off from eatlikeacow was like a vacation for me. I really enjoyed not lugging my camera to restaurants and having nice dinners with my friends without yelling "HEY! DON'T TOUCH THAT YET! I HAVEN'T TAKEN THE PICS YET!" to my friends every now and then.

Okay, back to the subject at hand. Guylian Cafe at The Rocks.




As far as I know, Guylian Cafe at The Rocks is still one of the top 10 posh patisserie-slash-coffeehouse in Sydney. It really has that European feel to it. Plus, I love Guylian. It's kind of the affordable alternative to Godiva or Valrhona, LOL. Let's face it, unless you're a Greek shipping magnate, who can afford to stock up on Godiva pralines in your big fridge?



The good thing about Guylian Cafe is, you can get fancy schmancy desserts that they serve in three-star restaurants without having to pay $200 for the preceding junks they serve (ha ha just kidding)


Mango Catalonia

-> This was their special of the day thing so I'm not sure if I get the name right. This thing looks pretty (reminds me of my late turtle Tupples, may he rest in peace), but rather hard to enjoy. The crust is very attractive, but it isn't the easiest thing to swallow. However, on the up-side, the mango mousse is to die for.

Rating: 7/10





Enjoy In

-> Hazelnut dacquoise enveloped with raspberry mousse. What can be better than that? Simply stunning. It's food like these that made me really really want to become a patissier (although I might end up flunking the course and become a patisserie eater, instead)

Rating: 8/10



Guylian Original Belgian Chocolate Praline Spread

-> The takeaway. This thing is crazy delicious. Think Nutella but much better texture, slightly less sweet, and infused with that magical Guylian aroma. This thing is supposed to be used as a spread for your sandwich, toast, cakes, etc...but I said to myself, screw it - I'm eating it straight from the jar.

Rating: 8.5/10

5 comments:

Simon Leong said...

i feel naked without my camera in a restaurant but congratulations on being able to do it. it's funny to think only a year ago i didn't even care not taking photos of food and now it's like a passion that would feel strange if i didn't do it. kudos to you for taking a break.

Erique Fat Owl said...

@Simon

Thanks for the comment!

It DOES feel weird and naked without a camera in a restaurant!!

The thing is, I hang out with pretentious boobs a LOT (the ones who think that they're so cultured by NOT owning TVs, etc - you know the sort) and they always say that I'm embarrassing them because I always take pictures of what I eat!

Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. LOL

Actually, half of the time I don't even take pics of the restaurant food I eat (especially at very posh places) - I know, I shouldn't care - but I have to restrain myself because unfortunately, I reap some benefits from socializing with these pretentious freaks and I do need to stay friends with them, LOL

Also, eatlikeacow will NEVER post high quality, artful $5000 DSLR-taken photos because even the tiniest, slimmest ultra compact cameras are apparently embarrassing enough for those people.

(I don't think Cla would get one of those huge DSLRs as well because she's too stylish and God knows that anything that doesn't fit inside her Chanel 2.55 bags is a no-go)

Leony said...

Hahaha...reading ur comment is more entertaining than reading the content of the blog hahahaha (especially with the Camera and Chanel bag). Btw,I am thinking of buying a huge DSLR... (don't hate me).

Erique Fat Owl said...

@Leony

Of course I won't hate you!! I do want to take nice food pics with DSLRs, but I hate lugging huge cameras everywhere. I'm not a photographer, I'm just a photography enthusiast - and I don't think that I have the talent to make the best out of a DSLR (nor do I intend to be good at taking photos. It's just not my main interest)

But I love taking photos. However, the main reason why I take so many photos in my lifetime is because I want to document my life. I don't expect those pics to be stunning or artful, I just want to remember stuff. So that's why getting a $5000 DSLR is not my priority right now - unless I develop a huge interest in art photography sometime in the future.

Also, I hate lugging huge DSLRs everywhere I go. Huge cameras really ruin your whole look. LOL. Unless Prada make a decent camera bag, I don't see myself lugging a DSLR anytime soon, LOL.

Also, I'm very image-conscious.
The thing is, I tend to feel that the fatter someone is, the less they should accessorize and the less stuff they should carry around with them. So unless I lose at least 20 Kgs I won't carry a huge DSLR around. Makes me feel un-chic. LOL

I'm weird, am I?

Anonymous said...

Wow a man actually liking sweats, who would of thought haha

sydneyguyrojoe