Thursday, October 23, 2008

Marigold - Haymarket, Sydney


Fried sticky rice with char siu bits and dried shrimps

-> I'm not really sure what this is, actually. It's kind of like a lor mai fun (sticky rice with Chinese sausages), but it's drier and less sticky than that. Anyway, quite nice.

Rating: 7/10


Shrimp cheong fan

-> ...with big fat juicy shrimps inside.

Rating: 7/10


Shrimp gau ji

-> My favorite deep-fried dim sum item! Served with sweet mayonnaise.

Rating: 8/10


Yue peen juk
Fish congee

-> I always order congee when doing yum-cha. There's something about the warm, soft texture of congee that I find very fulfilling. Also, I love century eggs (which is usually served with congee)

Rating: 7/10


Siu maai

-> Must-order item. Best eaten with a big dollop of chili sauce. I've mentioned before how I hate Sriracha chili sauce, but since that's the only kind of chili sauce they serve at yum-chas in Sydney, I had no choice.

Rating: 8/10


Char siu baau

-> It wouldn't be a yum-cha without having at least one type of baau (bun).

Rating: 8/10


Ngau juk kau
Steamed meatballs

-> My and my dad's favorite. Too bad he's in Jakarta, where less and less restaurants are serving ngau juk kau nowadays. This one is quite excellent - served with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some fu juk (tofu skin) - just like it's meant to be served.

Rating: 8/10


Dan tat

-> Flaky-type egg tart. We were early enough to get the piping hot fresh-from-the-oven ones!

Rating: 7.5/10


Hang jan dau fu
Almond jelly

-> a perfect desert to wash it all down.

Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

D said...

pretty consistent for yum cha from my years of eating here ... i'm an almond jelly fan too ... it's so niceeeee