Monday, October 13, 2008

Guylian Cafe - Circular Quay, Sydney




Finally - after months of waiting (and salivating while staring at the "opening soon" sign on their closed doors), it's finally here - Australia's first Guylian Cafe. Not the first one outside its native Belgium, mind you - that distinction belongs to their Singapore Changi Airport outlet that opened earlier this year.

I have to admit, I like Guylian chocolates very much. In fact, I like Belgian chocolates more than Swiss chocolates (sorry Dri! LOL). Especially Belgian pralines. For luxury chocolates, I still think that nothing beats Godiva, but for middle-upmarket ones, my vote goes to Guylian. I've been consuming their seashell-shaped pralines since I was born - pounds after pounds of Guylian pralines were always sent by my dear Grandaunt from Holland (back then, Guylian wasn't sold in Indonesia). In fact, "Guylian" was one of my first words as a child, so I was told by my dad!

Back to the topic on hand. I have to say that this place is - pardon my unrefined remark - da bomb. They're off to an excellent start - more than decent varieties of gateaux, chocolates, bonbons, pralines, truffles, and drinks. Not amazing variety, but definitely more than decent (hopefully they'll increase their menu in the future). Strictly speaking, this is more like a traditional chocolate cafe. Their menu are straightforward yet tasteful - such a nice break from the ilks of Max Brenner with their sugar overdose-inducing over-the-top menu.



100% Pure Pleasure
Belgian chocolate & Guylian praline enriched with coffee sponge and panna cotta


-> Alamak. It really is 100% indulgent. How does one describe the pleasure - it's smooth and chocolatey on the outside, the texture is as soft as a goddess' lips. It sparkles, too - with gold leaf sprinkles and adorned with bright red-tinted milk chocolate fences. Inside, it's even more smooth with perfect sweetness level and aroma balance. One whiff and one could sense an unmistakable scent of Guylian's famous praline. Lashes of raspberry, dark chocolate, and white chocolate sauces made this creation like a gift from God. Mmmm...

Rating: 9/10


Looking forward to subsequent visits. And the one after that. And after that...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, you make it sound and look sounds so good... I've been obsessed with the Lindt Café ever since it opened. I can't wait to try the Guylian Café *_*. Awesome post, thanks <3!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I need to warn all future patrons of the Guylian cafe in the Rocks. They have the WORST service. The staff ignore you until you leave in frustration and if you try to call them up on it they state that they are ‘very busy’ (10 people in the whole cafe isn’t very busy). STAY AWAY from this rude, inhospitable environment. Try the French cafe a little further up, the cakes are better and you will receive prompt service for less!!!

Anonymous said...

Just looking at your post makes me wanna leave my office and run to the Rocks. I absolutely love this place. The coffee is great and take away desserts absolutely mad. And the best REAL Belgian waffle in Sydney. My absolute fave 

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.