Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Argyle - The Rocks, Sydney



A quick solo lunch - one day before my B-day.

Went shopping today. I usually prepare what I'm going to wear on my B-day well in advance, but this year, I was stuck. I have this nice grey Maison Martin Margiela shirt I've been dying to premiere ever since I bought it in Hong Kong a couple of months ago, and I couldn't find a nice jacket to go with it. I searched everywhere - from Paddington, to the City, and finally back to Paddington again when I finally found the ONE. (the ONE Jacket to rule them all) <- LOTR reference ;)
From Paddington, I had to come all the way back to the City because I had to pick up my B-day cake on The Rocks area. This year, I get to choose my own cake because...well...let's just say that the previous ones bought by my friends were not...'adventurous' enough (whatever that means!!)

Anyway, before picking up the cake, I stumbled upon this awesome bar-slash-restaurant I've been dying to check out since last year. It's called 'The Argyle'. It occupies a historical building called The Argyle Stores - completely renovated of course - but the remains of the old world is still very apparent. I've been meaning to come here for some late weekend drinks, but since I was in the area that afternoon, I might as well check it out.

Marinated salmon with salad leaves, blanched asparagus, herb olive oil

-> Is it just me or this dish is totally YUMMY??? The salmon is juicy and delicious (Cla, your notion on salmon should never be served cooked has an exception now), and the asparagus is just perfect.

Rating: 9/10


The venue is awesome, even on broad daylight. It's hard to find a bar that look that awesome with that much natural light. It should be fantastic at nighttime with blaring music and pretty people. They also cater to private functions, and they've got tons of high-profile clienteles comprising of who's who in Sydney social scene. It's quite a posh hangout on a posh neighborhood. Will definitely come back to check it out some more.

2 comments:

cla said...

well... to be fair.. salmon do taste okay rare... but it still has that fishy smell...

i think my notion is that salmon is best served fresh and raw... (or maybe people should try cooking with sashimi grade salmon??)

Erique Fat Owl said...

I always kind of agree with you - salmon is just not that nice when served cooked. Yes, they should use sashimi grade salmon when cooking...as those common salmon steaks can be tough and dry...