Monday, July 14, 2008

Chocolateria San Churro - Glebe, Sydney




Holy sugar overdose, Batman!

This cafe franchise is apparently very popular in Melbourne (despite the very Spanish name and look, it's actually Australian-owned), but there's only a couple of shops in Sydney. The main attraction is their churros (Spanish fried dough sticks) and selection of exotic chocolate truffles. And they've got hot chocolates, fondue, etc and other usual fares as well.

Tapas

-> "For those who just can't decide", as written on their menu card. Yeah, that - or for greedy, sugar overdose-prone people. For specific ratings, scroll down:


Fudge brownies with vanilla ice cream

-> It's really moist and warm, you don't even need to drink milk to wash it down (some say that's a method of judging a good brownie). The vanilla ice cream is not so sweet - perfect when combined with the brownies. That's really clever - most shops make their brownies not so sweet so that when eaten with the ice cream, the balance of flavor is perfect. But what about those who don't like having ice cream with their brownies? The brownies should be sweet - after all, it's the main subject of the dish.

Rating: 8/10


Marshmallow coated with icing sugar

-> Is it just me or cafe-bought marshmallows are just better than supermarket-bought?

Rating: 7/10



Churros with white chocolate dip

-> I don't know about this. It's certainly the best churros I've ever tasted in Sydney. However, call me crazy, but I still pefer junk churros sold in pushcarts. Long, long time ago (like, the early / mid 1990's), when I was still studying in Jakarta, there were quite a number of churro carts here and there. The most prominent one is California Churros, a franchise from the U.S., which for some reason, always station their churro carts in front of 5àSec dry cleaners (a franchise from France, FYI). Ah, the good ol' times in Jakarta, when everything is imported and nothing is home-grown (kidding). Anyway. Almost every 5àSec outlets has a California Churros cart parked right in front of it. That's why for lots of people, it is also known as the 5àSec Churros.

Now these Churros are niceee. I've never eaten Churros in Spain, so I have no real point of comparison, but I loved California Churros. Back then, I thought that California Churros is the McDonald's of Churros. But when I went to Los Angeles, alas, how shocked I was when I saw dozens of companies selling Churros (I didn't even see a single California Churros cart then).

But all of the sudden, California Churros carts disappeared from 5àSec storefronts in Jakarta. I have no idea why. Maybe my dear co-blogger Cla can shed a light upon this phenomenon? After all, she must be more in the know about this subject, because it involves... *wink wink*.

Rating: 6.5/10


"Mt Everest" truffle (feft) & "Zanzibar" truffle (right)

Mt. Everest: white chocolate vanilla & chilli; Zanzibar: dark chocolate & cinnamon

Rating: 7.5/10 (both)


Caramel in chocolate cup

-> Edible chocolate cup! This one hits the spot!!

Rating: 8.5/10

5 comments:

cla said...

oh... someone just completely raved about this place a few days ago... said its the best thing ever!! address please?

cla said...

wait.. just read the wink wink... no i ahve no idea why... hahahhahaha

Leony said...

Churros... --> Disneyland... haha..

Hmm the caramel in the edible chocolate cup..reminds me of Reese's peanut butter cup.. *suddenly miss that thing...*

Erique Fat Owl said...

@Cla

Glebe Point Road. Nomernya lupa...tapi gampang kok nyarinya, soalnya adanya di tempat restoran2 pada ngumpul jadi satu...

@Leony
I also totally love Reese's peanut butter cup. Kolesterol super tinggi super fattening!

sasa said...

oh my god! i wanttt