Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ichiban Boshi - Sydney



3 pm late lunch.
Did that on purpose - always eat outside usual dining times (12.00 - 2.00pm, 18.00-20.00pm), otherwise, you might have to wait for 30 minutes for a table on this ever-so-popular ramen joint. They should move to a larger place now that they've enjoyed years of good business.

This place is immensely popular among the wapanese ('wanabe Japanese'. Wiki it if you're unfamiliar with this term), because it's conveniently located adjacent to ever-so-popular (and the ONLY good) bookstore in Sydney, Kinokuniya. So, after stocking up on some manga and anime magazines, they can drop by Ichiban Boshi to slurp some Miso Ramen and pretend that they're in Dotonbori (street) in Osaka. How sad.

Tantan-men

-> Something that I'm currently addicted to. Be it the (original) Sichuan Chinese dan dan mian, or the Japanese version, as long as it's spicy, sesame-y, and topped with sumptuous minced pork, I'm all for it. Toppings on this particular ramen include: hourensou (Japanese spinach), moyashi (bean sprout), negi (spring onions), naga-negi (leek), and the delightful hanjuku ni-tamago (half-boiled egg).
This Tantan-men from Ichiban Boshi is by far, the best I've tasted in Sydney. The soup is rich, spicy (real spiciness, although nowhere as spicy as the real Sichuan stuff), and the minced pork is just spectacular. Even better still if you add extra naga-negi (I love naga-negi).

Rating: 9/10

5 comments:

cla said...

naga negi smell like fisherman's boots.... not that i know what it smells like... hauhahaha but it ruins the whole bowl for me...

kino in sydney is not even that good... only reason i'm ever there is for vogue n russh.... ever been to ariel? its better for finding meaningful-meaningless books...

are we giving out ratings now? out of ten cows?

Erique Fat Owl said...

I always thought of naga-negi as a pleasant, more edible version of spring onion! IMO it doesn't even have a strong aroma.

You mean Russh & Vogue Nippon?

Well, Kino Sydney...it's the only place in Sydney to get Japanese books (discounting 2nd hand shops). And you know, I've been going to Kino ever since I was 6 so I kind of have a 'spiritual' connection to that bookstore. Also, I buy 6 or 7 Japanese magazines a month from there, so it's a necessary place, let's just say.

What do you mean have I been to Ariel? I go there like, once or twice a week!
However, Ariel is more like, your area, and I can find whatever they've got (that I'm interested in) in Kino anyway.
Ariel is fun, however, their cinema section is rather small whereas Kino has 3 floor-to-ceiling shelves of film books.

And the only reason why you can find lots of meaningful-meaningless books in Ariel is because the place is small and they don't sell many books. Kino probably has what Ariel has anyway, but since it's huge, you can't find them as easy.

(sorry, force of nature tend to make me defend my beloved Kinokuniya)

And yes, yes, why don't we give out ratings? It'll be useful for the society! LOL! Imagine...having an influence (no matter how small) on the popularity of restaurants...

I've always wanted to be a critic...

cla said...

hahahha... as moo moo would say... the place would've gone bankrupt if it wasnt for you XD


so in one year this thing has gone from my food diary to a critic?? not bad...

Leony said...

Short comment today: You just started to add ratings into your foods hehe...

Erique Fat Owl said...

@Leony

YES! Actually, I've given out ratings in my previous posts, but ratings are haphazard on this blog, and I think it would've been nice to constantly give ratings from now on.

@Cla

Was she talking about that stupid SGD 50 alto recorder when she said that?? Grr.

Yes...not bad, right? And let's update the blog design every 4 months or so! I like this current one, and it DOES look a bit morning glory-ish, but I like it!