Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rive Droite - Lan Kwai Fong, Hong Kong


Salmon Napoleon avec chervil et Kumquat Vinaigre

-> Excellent. I used to think that salmon is just not great cooked - and better eaten raw, but this dish just proved me wrong. It's tangy, tart, and exquisite. The vinaigrette softens the fish, and made it more succulent.


Fillet de boeuf "angus grille", facon rossini, gratin dauphinois, sauce au vinaigre balsamique

-> Grilled angus fillet Rossini style, gratin dauphinois, with balsamic vinaigrette sauce. Just lovely. At first, I expected the vinaigrette to overpower the beef, but I was mistaken. It's quite subtle with a hint of sourness, and the way the beef seems to be roasted, then grilled just improves the texture dramatically whilst at the same time locking the flavor. Perfection.


Note:
Light dinner with Cynthia.
Exquisite restaurant at Lan Kwai Fong, frequented by expats (basically, Lan Kwai Fong is like Hong Kong's equivalent to Jakarta's Kemang). The wine list is impressive (12 pages)! I ordered the 2000 Gewurtztraminer from Alsace. I am no wine expert, but I think it goes well with the food. Gewurtztraminer is very sweet, and I kind of like the combination between the sweetness of the wine and the sourness of the dishes (from the vinaigrette).

The crowd was very stylish and smart-casual, with many colorful dresses, very Sex and the City. No tai-tais, surprisingly.

"Rive Droite" is the restaurant's name, and there's an adjoining bar called "Rive Gauche". I actually wanted to hang out at the bar, which is absolutely stylish and happening, but I had to catch a flight tomorrow so I decided to go back to the hotel instead.

4 comments:

Pisanu for BISEAN said...

I'm not sure if you're a professional food critic and you just post these on the internet for the heck of it OR...

Anyways, I'll be reading more. You got soemthing to say.

BISEAN's first FOOD BLOG link =)

Erique Fat Owl said...

Mr Pisanu! How nice of you to drop a comment! I've been reading your blog for ages!

Such an honor to be Bisean's first food blog link! Khap khun mak mak na khrap! Merci Beaucoup! Dank je well!

-erique-

cla said...

or the heck of it sounds about right... haha...


dont worry... i'm speaking for myself...

Erique Fat Owl said...

Cla, you just can't be bothered to write.

I, on the other hand, have too much free time to squawk about nonsense.

Anyway, I don't think that we're exactly food critics. We almost never give out ratings.

Hm, maybe we should give out ratings from now on - so that we're actually being useful to the society, LOL.